P1 will be able to crack a top speed of 217mph, and cover a standing quarter mile in 9.8 seconds
Mark Tisshaw
21 October 2013

The McLaren P1 will be able to crack 0-62mph in just 2.8sec, one of several astonishing performance figures officially confirmed by McLaren for the first time.

The new hypercar will then go from 0-124mph in 6.8sec and from 0-186mph in 16.5sec, making it one of the fastest-accelerating performance cars in history. It can cover a standing quarter of a mile in 9.8sec and a speed of 152mph, while the top speed is electronically limited to 217mph. 

The figures eclipse those of the Porsche 918 Spyder, which cracks 0-62mph in 2.8sec, 0-124mph in 7.9sec, 0-186mph in 23.0sec and goes on to a top speed of 211mph.

The P1’s other great hypercar rival, LaFerrari, has only had its 0-186mph time of 15.5sec confirmed. The 0-62mph time will be “less than 3.0sec” and the 0-124mph time “less than 7.0sec”, but the top speed will not be announced “because it doesn’t matter”.

Very few cars have an official 0-62mph time of sub-3.0sec, including specialised models like the Ariel Atom V8, Koenigsegg Agera R, Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, and Nissan GT-R Spec V.

The P1’s real trump card – although one trumped itself by LaFerrari – is the 0-186mph time, which is 0.2sec faster than the Veyron Super Sport and 5.5sec quicker than the P1’s spiritual predecessor, the McLaren F1.

Official economy details of the P1, which is powered by a twin-turbo 3.8-litre V8 engine and electric motor with a combined 903bhp and 664lb ft of torque, include combined economy of 34.0mpg and 194g/km CO2 emissions. The P1 can travel up to 6.8 miles solely on electric power. 

Stopping performance is equally as impressive, due to a bespoke carbon-ceramic braking system developed by Akebono and Pirelli tyres. The P1 can go from 62mph to rest in 30.2metres; the Highway Code’s suggested stopping distance from 60mph to rest is 73 metres. To stop from 124mph the P1 takes 116 metres and 246 metres from 186mph. 

McLaren has also confirmed the first of 375 P1s have rolled off the line at the McLaren Production Centre in Woking. It was collected by a UK-based customer at the end of September.

Autocar has produced digital books on the McLaren P1 hypercar as well as the F1 and 12C supercars.

Download the McLaren F1 digital edition.

Download the McLaren P1 digital edition.

Download the McLaren 12C digital edition.

Our Verdict

McLaren P1

The stakes couldn't be higher, so has the P1 risen to the challenge?

Join the debate

Comments
26

21 October 2013

So the Porsche can crack 0-62mph in 28 seconds? Can't wait to race one on my Brompton folding bike!

21 October 2013
ONoodle wrote:

So the Porsche can crack 0-62mph in 28 seconds? Can't wait to race one on my Brompton folding bike!

The article has been changed to read 0-62mph in 2.8 seconds but it is still wrong as that's the same time quoted for both the Porsche & McLaren.

21 October 2013

Can you imagine the furious emails and writs flying around if a similar error was made by this magazine - or any other - in connection with a McLaren.

21 October 2013

Assuming the 6mins 33secs lap time of the Nurburgring 'shown' earlier this year was correct, given racing slick tyres I wouldn't bet against the P1 breaking the lap record set in 1983 by a Porsche 956, a purpose built racing car, albeit one that was designed 31 years ago!

And while a LaFerrari may be quicker in a straight line than the McLaren, I suspect around most tracks the P1 would be quicker if the MP4 is anything to go by, which is quicker than many cars that are more powerful and have a higher top speed and greater acceleration than it. As for top speed, I think unlimited, the P1 would get very close to the Veyron Super Sport.

21 October 2013

According to an article in a rival magazine's website, McLaren, with the P1, has been trying to crack the Porsche 918's Nurburgring record of 6.57 mins, but so far hasn't succeeded yet.. How true it is I can't confirm. But I would imagine Mclaren would want to do that before first delivery to a customer, which has already happened.

21 October 2013
askho wrote:

According to an article in a rival magazine's website, McLaren, with the P1, has been trying to crack the Porsche 918's Nurburgring record of 6.57 mins, but so far hasn't succeeded yet.. How true it is I can't confirm. But I would imagine Mclaren would want to do that before first delivery to a customer, which has already happened.

Four days ago CAR magazine quoted an unofficial time for the P1 of 7min 4sec, seven seconds slower than the Porsche. McLaren were at the 'Ring trying to beat that time when the article was published.

The outright production car record of 6min 48sec is currently held by a Radical SR8LM, which everyone seems to be conveniently ignoring. The car was driven to the circuit from the UK by the same driver who set the record.

21 October 2013
MikeSpencer wrote:
askho wrote:

According to an article in a rival magazine's website, McLaren, with the P1, has been trying to crack the Porsche 918's Nurburgring record of 6.57 mins, but so far hasn't succeeded yet.. How true it is I can't confirm. But I would imagine Mclaren would want to do that before first delivery to a customer, which has already happened.

Four days ago CAR magazine quoted an unofficial time for the P1 of 7min 4sec, seven seconds slower than the Porsche. McLaren were at the 'Ring trying to beat that time when the article was published.

The outright production car record of 6min 48sec is currently held by a Radical SR8LM, which everyone seems to be conveniently ignoring. The car was driven to the circuit from the UK by the same driver who set the record.

If McLaren are struggling, that surprises me considering the MP4's track time abilities and I'll eat my words, but on the other hand this could possibly demonstrate that once again Porsche are almost unrivalled when it comes to chassis development and handling as they have an unerring act of getting many of their cars around a track quicker than what you'd assume is possible from the power of their cars, while the 918 is not exactly a light car either.

21 October 2013
Lanehogger wrote:
MikeSpencer wrote:
askho wrote:

According to an article in a rival magazine's website, McLaren, with the P1, has been trying to crack the Porsche 918's Nurburgring record of 6.57 mins, but so far hasn't succeeded yet.. How true it is I can't confirm. But I would imagine Mclaren would want to do that before first delivery to a customer, which has already happened.

Four days ago CAR magazine quoted an unofficial time for the P1 of 7min 4sec, seven seconds slower than the Porsche. McLaren were at the 'Ring trying to beat that time when the article was published.

The outright production car record of 6min 48sec is currently held by a Radical SR8LM, which everyone seems to be conveniently ignoring. The car was driven to the circuit from the UK by the same driver who set the record.

If McLaren are struggling, that surprises me considering the MP4's track time abilities and I'll eat my words, but on the other hand this could possibly demonstrate that once again Porsche are almost unrivalled when it comes to chassis development and handling as they have an unerring act of getting many of their cars around a track quicker than what you'd assume is possible from the power of their cars, while the 918 is not exactly a light car either.

I don't think its a case that McLaren are struggling to beat Porsche's time, it's just they haven't published any figures yet. Probably because they won't do that until they're sure they can't go any quicker.

21 October 2013

If the P1 has beaten the 918's record, I have absolutely no doubt Mclaren would have announced it, just to take the shine off Porsche. The fact that they haven't, allegedly, just shows you how good the 918 is.

10 December 2013
Mclaren started testing at the Ring a long while back now and if they have not yet made the figures public it means they are struggling or have given up trying to beat the Porsche's time. I don't think people realize what a nearly impossible time Porsche set there, the Radical is quicker but as most people know it is not a road worthy car in many countries plus it is extremely light, where as the 918 is very heavy and the P1 also.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Citroën C3 Aircross
    First Drive
    17 October 2017
    The Citroen C3 Aircross has got funky looks and a charming interior, but it's another small SUV, and another dynamic miss. Numb steering is just one thing keeping it from class best
  • Skoda-Karoq 2.0 TDI 4x4
    First Drive
    16 October 2017
    Diesel version of Skoda’s junior SUV is unobtrusive and undemanding, but we’d still go for the silkier petrol version of the Karoq
  • Audi Q7 e-tron
    First Drive
    16 October 2017
    Expensive and flawed but this understated diesel-electric Audi Q7 has a lot to offer
  • Citroën C3
    First Drive
    16 October 2017
    Is the third gen Citroën C3 ‘fresh and different’ enough to take on its supermini rivals? We spend six months with one to find out
  • BMW X3
    First Drive
    15 October 2017
    A satisfying rework of the X3 that usefully improves its handling, cabin finish, space and connectivity to make this BMW a class front-runner again