700,000 new cars sold under US scrappage scheme
28 August 2009

The US scrappage incentive scheme, dubbed cash for clunkers, has come to an end after 700,000 new cars were sold in a month.

Sales under the scheme totalled $2.887 billion (£1.77bn), with the most popular car sold under the scheme being the Toyota Corolla.

In total, 84 per cent of customers traded in pick up trucks and 59 per cent of cars sold were passenger cars. The remaining 41 per cent were split between new pick ups, crossovers and SUVs.

The US Transportation Department said the programme resulted in a 58 per cent improvement in the fuel economy of new vehicles sold. The average mpg of the vehicles traded in was 15.8mpg, with the average of new cars sold being 24.9mpg.

The US big three – Ford, General Motors and Chrysler – took a 38.6 per cent share of all sales under the scheme.

The top ten cars sold under scrappage in the US (according to the Detroit Free Press):

1. Toyota Corolla

2. Honda Civic

3. Toyota Camry

4. Ford Focus FWD

5. Hyundai Elantra

6. Nissan Versa

7. Toyota Prius

8. Honda Accord

9. Honda Fit

10. Ford Escape FWD

Twitter - follow autocar.co.ukSee all the latest Toyota Corolla reviews, news and video

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • First Drive
    20 March 2018
    The newest version of Rolls-Royce's flagship model sets new standards for opulence and luxury when you're driving it or being driven in it
  • Used BMW M135i
    First Drive
    20 March 2018
    We have bought a used BMW M135i to see how far we can improve this rear-wheel-drive hot hatch
  • Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate
    First Drive
    19 March 2018
    The Mercedes-Benz E-Class could be all the estate car you’ll ever want — or it could be overkill. Let’s see which...
  • Dallara Stradale
    The Stradale is the first road-legel car from Italian motorsport constructor Dallara
    First Drive
    16 March 2018
    The motorsport constructor's first road car is inspired by Lotus minimalism. Does it thrill on road and track?
  • Hyundai i30 N
    Standard spec is good so paint colour is our car’s only option
    First Drive
    16 March 2018
    What’s Hyundai’s first hot hatch and N-brand debutant really like? Let’s find out