New Range Rover Sport tackles the Goodwood hill at the Festival of Speed
12 July 2013

The new Range Rover Sport got its UK moving debut at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

The car was driven up Lord March’s legendary driveway and will continue to be demonstrated over the course of the show.

Land Rover has chosen to show off the V8 model which, thanks to its 5.0-litre supercharged petrol engine, can sprint from 0-62mph in just 5.3 seconds.

A pair of V6 diesel engines are also available, with either 258 or 292bhp. Prices start at £51,550 for a TDV6 SE, rising to £81,550 for the V8-powered Autobiography version.

The new Sport boasts significant weight reductions over its predecessor, with savings of up to 420kg. Combined with quicker steering and impressive damper control, the SUV has car-like agility.

For all the latest from the Goodwood Festival of Speed, stay tuned to Autocar.co.uk

James Lewis-Barned

Our Verdict

Range Rover Sport

The Range Rover Sport offers just the right dynamic twist on the well trodden SUV formula

Join the debate

Comments
14

4 July 2013

I have no info on the Sport's performance, but I do have news just in from the US on the full fat Rangie.  Motor Trend got 0-60 in 4.6 and the GL63AMG tested against it 4.7.  As Germanpower would be the first to agree, this stat is far and away the most important consideration when buying an SUV, and the AMG is slower and therefore "dated".

PS Oh no!  Car and Driver's Rangie recorded 0-60 in a disastrous 4.7 so it must be terribly dated after all.

4 July 2013

275not599, maybe Motor Trend just printed what their Indian paymasters told them to. Not unlike another car magazine. I look forward to seeing the "new" Range Rover Sport break down at Goodwood in front of the world's press. Let's see JLR gloss over their terrible build quality and reliability then!

5 July 2013

GermanPower wrote:

275not599, maybe Motor Trend just printed what their Indian paymasters told them to. Not unlike another car magazine. I look forward to seeing the "new" Range Rover Sport break down at Goodwood in front of the world's press. Let's see JLR gloss over their terrible build quality and reliability then!

Morning LA! Good morning for a troll session, isn't it? Quibbling over a fraction of a second's 0-60 time really does make you stand out. As what, I will let you conclude.

4 July 2013

What have BMW started??!

Matthew Tortellini.

 

-------------------------------------

jonboy4969 wrote:

Jonboy says your thick

4 July 2013

Not being controversial but I thought it was tedious. No racing just a procession of cars. Who's really interested in watching a RR Sport being driven up someone's driveway? Really?

4 July 2013

Darren Moss wrote:

Land Rover has chosen to show off the V8 model which, thanks to its 5.0-litre supercharged petrol engine, can crack 0-62mph in just 5.3 seconds.

About half a second off the pace of its rivals then. Definitely not worth 'showing off'.

4 July 2013

Winston ChurchiIl wrote:

Darren Moss wrote:

Land Rover has chosen to show off the V8 model which, thanks to its 5.0-litre supercharged petrol engine, can crack 0-62mph in just 5.3 seconds.

About half a second off the pace of its rivals then. Definitely not worth 'showing off'.

On what planet does it matter? Unless you're a 14 year old boy, no one with this amount of money - in their right mind - would care that it is half a second (HALF A SECOND!) quicker or slower. Cars at this level are bought on subjective factors not objective! You are most definitely not the target market.

4 July 2013

Ray6O wrote:

You are most definitely not the target market.

No, I'd have to be orange.

4 July 2013

Winston ChurchiIl wrote:

Ray6O wrote:

You are most definitely not the target market.

No, I'd have to be orange.

Being a w4nker disqualifies you.

4 July 2013

'Moving debut'! I've never heard so much clap-trap in my life! It's a car. It moves. What on earth is the big fuss!?

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Lexus LC500
    Car review
    20 October 2017
    Futuristic Lexus LC coupé mixes the latest technology with an old-school atmospheric V8
  • Maserati Levante S GranSport
    First Drive
    20 October 2017
    Get ready to trade in your diesels: Maserati’s luxury SUV finally gets the engine it’s always needed
  • Jaguar XF Sportbrake TDV6
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    The handsome Jaguar XF Sportbrake exhibits all the hallmarks that makes the saloon great, and with the silky smooth diesel V6 makes it a compelling choice
  • Volkswagen T-Roc TDI
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    Volkswagen's new compact crossover has the looks, the engineering and the build quality to be a resounding success, but not with this diesel engine
  • BMW M550i
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    The all-paw M550i is a fast, effortless mile-muncher, but there's a reason why it won't be sold in the UK