From £17,430
Entry-level diesel engine is a fine match for impressive five-seat MPV
Mark Tisshaw
28 November 2010

What is it?

We've been mightily impressed by every Ford C-Max we've tried so far, both at home and abroad. The seven-seat Grand version scored four and a half stars in its road test a fortnight ago, and now it's time to see how its compact five-seat sibling performs on UK roads.

We're testing the entry-level 113bhp 1.6 turbodiesel version, which will be the biggest seller among five-seat C-Max buyers. Ours arrived in loaded Titanium trim at £19,745, although most buyers will opt for the £18,245 Zetec model.

What's it like?

Ford should have another hit on its hands with this model. Most noticeable at start-up is just how quiet the engine is, so much so that there's no major audible way of telling it's a diesel. Pulling off the line isn't as smooth as we'd like, though; the engine feels underpowered in first and at the bottom of second.

This can lead to the car feeling hesitant at junctions and requiring a firm press of your foot on the right pedal and a small slip of the clutch to ensure you don't stall.

But this lack of initial grunt is the engine's only real flaw, and it's certainly no deal-breaker, requiring a small adjustment in driving style that becomes second nature after a few miles have been negotiated.

The delivery of both power and torque is linear (the hesitance disappears once the turbo properly kicks in and peak torque arrives), the gearchange is slick and the engine remains quiet and incredibly refined at almost all speeds and situations, whether it's sat in the outside lane of the motorway or tootling down the high street.

The supple ride and superb body control of its seven-seat sibling are equally impressive in this shorter five-seat model. The fully electric steering is accurate and nicely weighted, too. This is a car with handling characteristics you wouldn't expect of a car in its class; practical doesn't always mean dull.

Should I buy one?

If you don't need the extra seats and interior space offered by the Grand, it's hard not to recommend this excellent five-seat version that blitzes rivals such as the Vauxhall Meriva. It also looks promising for the next five-seat car Ford will spin off the platform: the new Focus.

Ford C-Max 1.6 TDCi 115 Titanium

Price: £19,745; Top speed: 114mph; 0-62mph: 11.3sec; Economy: 61.4mpg (combined); CO2: 119g/km; Kerb weight: 1390kg; Engine: 4 cyls, 1560cc, turbodiesel; Power: 113bhp at 3600rpm; Torque: 199lb ft (210lb ft with over-boost) at 1750-2000rpm; Gearbox: 6-spd manual

 Looking for a used Ford C-Max for sale? Visit PistonHeads Classifieds

Advertisement
Advertisement

Find an Autocar review

Join the debate

Comments
29
Add a comment…
moe360 9 December 2010

Re: Ford C-Max 1.6 TDCi

EssexFish wrote:

moe360 wrote:
Do you work for the Ford Marketing department by any chance ?

lol.... no! just stating that the new ford interiors are of a much high standard!

moe360 wrote:
emmm any Audi feels more special then a ford mate true fact ask any member of the public take a survey ! Audi wins hands down on the x factor over a nasty ford

Show's you how much you know about cars then! :P Some Audi's yes but a lot of them no...

In the case of the A3 they are spectacularly average cars with the exception of the 4wd 3S and quite frankly the 1.6-2.0l versions like the BMW's 1 of the same ilk are far too common to even consifer having any x-factor at all, like and Astra or Focus really.... Average.

moe360 wrote:
Its not drivel its fact buddy if you count everything about the cars my theory is right you got to look at the big picture not just some funky car styling that is out of date as quick as my milk.

I do look at the big Picture, I've had several Fords, over the last 10 years both company and personal, there are better cars out there but are generally a fair chuck more expensive, and my family have too but, none have ever let me down or shown sign of age. Sure they don't have the badge but who cares if people are so worried about image and what people think of them then they are pretty sad people!

Now the last German car I had was a BMW 328i, it was great until it got to three years old when it basicly fell apart! The interior trim started to come away and, the computer failed so no dash functioanlity at all, the engine head cracked, and the rear suspension struts need replacing. The car had done 32K and was well looked after and regualy serviced! Why would I buy another after this?

My friend had a Golf r32, spent for time in the VW garage than on the road due to a dodgy gear box, well three of them to be fair!

Just a couple examples of fine German engineering for you! :P

Don't get me wrong German cars are good, but the gap has narrowed significatley over the years.

I have just read your argument and find it very interesting, but at the moment I am little sleepy and need to be more fresh to have a counter argument to your Audi A3 boring bit lol

By the way my Audi is a 1.4 T Sportback Sport and I work in a school and majority of the students aged between 14 - 18 love the white audi ! we have people with fords and astras they got no looks says so much about boring, if the car is the right spec ( most german cars looks much nicer then fords!

EssexFish 9 December 2010

Re: Ford C-Max 1.6 TDCi

moe360 wrote:
Do you work for the Ford Marketing department by any chance ?

lol.... no! just stating that the new ford interiors are of a much high standard!

moe360 wrote:
emmm any Audi feels more special then a ford mate true fact ask any member of the public take a survey ! Audi wins hands down on the x factor over a nasty ford

Show's you how much you know about cars then! :P Some Audi's yes but a lot of them no...

In the case of the A3 they are spectacularly average cars with the exception of the 4wd 3S and quite frankly the 1.6-2.0l versions like the BMW's 1 of the same ilk are far too common to even consifer having any x-factor at all, like and Astra or Focus really.... Average.

moe360 wrote:
Its not drivel its fact buddy if you count everything about the cars my theory is right you got to look at the big picture not just some funky car styling that is out of date as quick as my milk.

I do look at the big Picture, I've had several Fords, over the last 10 years both company and personal, there are better cars out there but are generally a fair chuck more expensive, and my family have too but, none have ever let me down or shown sign of age. Sure they don't have the badge but who cares if people are so worried about image and what people think of them then they are pretty sad people!

Now the last German car I had was a BMW 328i, it was great until it got to three years old when it basicly fell apart! The interior trim started to come away and, the computer failed so no dash functioanlity at all, the engine head cracked, and the rear suspension struts need replacing. The car had done 32K and was well looked after and regualy serviced! Why would I buy another after this?

My friend had a Golf r32, spent for time in the VW garage than on the road due to a dodgy gear box, well three of them to be fair!

Just a couple examples of fine German engineering for you! :P

Don't get me wrong German cars are good, but the gap has narrowed significatley over the years.

moe360 7 December 2010

Re: Ford C-Max 1.6 TDCi

EssexFish wrote:
high quality.

Do you work for the Ford Marketing department by any chance ?

EssexFish wrote:
It didn't feel special

emmm any Audi feels more special then a ford mate true fact ask any member of the public take a survey ! Audi wins hands down on the x factor over a nasty ford

EssexFish wrote:
Basicly it was crap!

I know thats what fords are like;-P

EssexFish wrote:
The problem is Moe's responce is just the stock drivel when it come to cars, Fords are crap anything German is good, well I'm sorry it's just not true anymore.

Its not drivel its fact buddy if you count everything about the cars my theory is right you got to look at the big picture not just some funky car styling that is out of date as quick as my milk.

Find an Autocar car review