New Spider version is 100kg lighter than 570S Spider, and is on sale now priced from £201,500
9 January 2019

McLaren has released details and first images of its latest model debut, the 600LT Spider, ahead of customer deliveries in the Spring.

The fifth Longtail model and the third car born under McLaren's Track25 business plan, the 600LT Spider is said to "bring a new dimension of excitement over the 600LT Coupe, without compromise to the dynamic purity of the most performance-focused car in the Sports Series line-up."

The 600LT Spider makes use of a three-piece retractable hardtop that can be opened at speeds of up to 25mph. An electric glazed wind deflector, which can be opened independently of the roof, reduces buffeting. McLaren boasts that it has managed to keep the distinctive top-exit exhausts of the coupe intact, too, boosting the noise benefit of lowering the roof. 

The roof itself, folding behind a soft-close lid, adds a modest 50kg to the weight of the Coupe. That kerbweight is 1297kg when the Spider is specified with the optional (£18,200) MSO Clubsport pack, bringing carbon fibre racing seats, interior trim and exterior details, plus titanium wheel bolts. In that spec, it's 100kg lighter than the 570S Spider.

Using the same 592bhp 3.8-litre twin-turbocharged V8, that brings the power-to-weight ratio to 457bhp per tonne - 25bhp per tonne more than the Ferrari 488 Spider. It's capable of 0-62mph in 2.9sec (identical to the Coupe) and a top speed of 201mph with the roof up (2mph down on the coupe), or 196mph with it lowered.

Notably, McLaren claims the Spider generates the same 100kg of downforce at 155mph as the Coupe, defying the usual aerodynamic losses associated with a convertible. No changes over the hard-top 600LT's chassis are listed for the Spider

Volume for the 600LT Spider is said to be strictly limited in its twelve-month production run. Prices start at £201,500 inclusive of UK taxes.

Our Verdict

McLaren 600LT 2018 review - hero front

Lighter, faster and more athletic than the already brilliant 570S, the 600LT is McLaren at its very best

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

The first of the McLaren LT models was the F1 GTR Longtail racing car from 1997, with the badge revived in 2015 for the limited-run 675LT Coupe.

Read more

From Budapest to London: 1400 miles in a McLaren 600LT

McLaren reviews on Autocar

McLaren 600LT: why it scores five stars from Autocar's testers

Join the debate

Comments
13

9 January 2019

  Limited, whenever I here this word it makes me thing profit instead, why is that do you think....?

Peter Cavellini.

9 January 2019
Peter Cavellini wrote:

  Limited, whenever I here this word it makes me thing profit instead, why is that do you think....?

Is it becuase you drive a Fiesta Limited and realised its only a pin strip better equiped then Popular Plus...

yeah, the back just ran away from me

9 January 2019

yes they are good cars and built on f1 technologies 

 

show me one race they scored or win in the last 3 no 4 no 5 seasons may be 6 

 

hang on when did did the win —- May be score anything last ?

do you think other manufacturer are stupid and they cannot built well handing fast cars ?

just look at second prices of 

12c

540 

570s

675

650

facts speaks for themselves 

they won nothing 

9 January 2019
Prost A wrote:

yes they are good cars and built on f1 technologies 

 

show me one race they scored or win in the last 3 no 4 no 5 seasons may be 6 

 

hang on when did did the win —- May be score anything last ?

do you think other manufacturer are stupid and they cannot built well handing fast cars ?

just look at second prices of 

12c

540 

570s

675

650

facts speaks for themselves 

they won nothing 

 

McLaren GT might disagree with you.  The 650S GT3 has won numerous races, most notably the 2016 Bathurst 12 Hours.

9 January 2019

Name me some cars released in the last 5 years where the owner has made money.

9 January 2019
StuM82 wrote:

Name me some cars released in the last 5 years where the owner has made money.

some of them Porsche 911 models...

10 January 2019
Prost A wrote:

yes they are good cars and built on f1 technologies 

 

show me one race they scored or win in the last 3 no 4 no 5 seasons may be 6 

 

hang on when did did the win —- May be score anything last ?

do you think other manufacturer are stupid and they cannot built well handing fast cars ?

just look at second prices of 

12c

540 

570s

675

650

facts speaks for themselves 

they won nothing 

It's possible people are buying McLarens because they are some of the finest road cars ever made, and making or losing money on the purchase of a car is not a primary, or even secondary, consideration.

10 January 2019
No doubt this LT will be AMAZING. Can't help but feel a little disappointed, however, as a saw the thumbnail and immediately assumed the 800LT was imminent.

11 January 2019

https://youtu.be/3BzfSU1Kt_o

 

can you imagine if this is a German or Italian  manufacturer 

 

relaeasing new so call limited models frequently 

 

flag ship cars cars on fire within a few months 

 

the British fans will be savaging them however everything is hunkidori with MacLaren because it is “British” 

best cars in the world ? My ass 

of course it is limited edition 

Spontaneous combustion I suppose....rare sight on the road

Since when winning a few obscure GT3 races can be compared to majority non finishing in F1

come on they are rubbish and now have to employ a German as team manager ....

just like digital cameras it’s about time acceleration and ring time are useless like mega pixels

enjoy the video of a burning senna 

11 January 2019
Prost A wrote:

https://youtu.be/3BzfSU1Kt_o

 

can you imagine if this is a German or Italian  manufacturer 

 

relaeasing new so call limited models frequently 

 

flag ship cars cars on fire within a few months 

 

the British fans will be savaging them however everything is hunkidori with MacLaren because it is “British” 

best cars in the world ? My ass 

of course it is limited edition 

Spontaneous combustion I suppose....rare sight on the road

Since when winning a few obscure GT3 races can be compared to majority non finishing in F1

come on they are rubbish and now have to employ a German as team manager ....

just like digital cameras it’s about time acceleration and ring time are useless like mega pixels

enjoy the video of a burning senna 

You don't remember Ferraris and Porsches catching fire?  Doesn't make it acceptable, but people didn't stop buying those, either.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week