More aggressive and powerful version of the i8 planned to celebrate BMW's centenary in two years time
26 September 2014

BMW is preparing a more potent version of the i8 for its centenary celebrations in 2016, sources have revealed.

The new model, rumoured to be called i9, would use the same carbonfibre tub 
as the i8 but would get more aggressive styling, a larger engine and a more powerful electric motor.

The engine is understood to be the new modular 3.0-litre six-cylinder unit that is in development and set to appear first in the upcoming 7-series replacement.

The i9 will be the next model to join BMW’s i sub-brand. Also planned is the i5, a stretched version of the i3

Currently in use in the i8 is a three-cylinder 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine in combination with an electric motor. Total power output is rated at 357bhp, alongside 420lb ft.

Expect the i9 to improve on the standard car's 0-62mph sprint time of 4.4 seconds, as well as its 155mph top speed.

Get the latest car news, reviews and galleries from Autocar direct to your inbox every week. Enter your email address below:

Our Verdict

BMW i3
Two versions of the BMW i3 are on sale: a pure electric model or a range-extender variant

BMW makes waves with Europe’s first premium-brand compact EV

26 September 2014
Why don't they take out the heavy hybrid bits, put the most powerful engine they've got in it and call it the M8.

26 September 2014
owenmahamilton wrote:
Why don't they take out the heavy hybrid bits, put the most powerful engine they've got in it and call it the M8.
Even the diesel head that I am has got to agree here, remove all the excess weight of the batteries and all its associated additional running gear/electronics etc. Shove in almost anything by the way of a half decent engine and hey presto one amazing car. For me a highly tuned diesel with the 8spd auto. All that torque, ratios and light weight should be pretty amazing.

26 September 2014
Most interesting part of this story is the i5, a plug-in to keep the successful Telsa within sight/at bay (delete as applicable)

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

26 September 2014
Dump the electric bits and stick a proper engine in the thing. If they want they can make it a limited edition of say 500 vehicles so as not to mess with their corporate CO2 average too much but it needs to be done.

26 September 2014
BMW already do enough performance petrol/diesel engined cars, an i9 will be far more interesting, will get more press coverage to. After all that's the purpose of a Centenary car something a bit different and special. Just mine and BMW opinion though

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

26 September 2014
xxxx wrote:
BMW already do enough performance petrol/diesel engined cars, an i9 will be far more interesting, will get more press coverage to. After all that's the purpose of a Centenary car something a bit different and special. Just mine and BMW opinion though
It could be a competitor against the McLaren 650S and the new Mercedes AMG GT which they don't have.

26 September 2014
owenmahamilton wrote:
xxxx wrote:
BMW already do enough performance petrol/diesel engined cars, an i9 will be far more interesting, will get more press coverage to. After all that's the purpose of a Centenary car something a bit different and special. Just mine and BMW opinion though
It could be a competitor against the McLaren 650S and the new Mercedes AMG GT which they don't have.
With a 0-60 time of around 4.0 seconds or less it probably will be!

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

27 September 2014
You might call this the spiritual successor to the M1. Lose the hybrid stuff, slide in a V8, and suddenly it's the successor to the 850.

28 September 2014
But will a transverse six leave enough room for the rear electric motor? Maybe. At least Autocar's version of the i9 rumour is a bit more plausible than the V8 and four doors suggested elsewhere. As for 60 mph in 4 secs, the I8 already does 60 in 3.8 secs. And removing the hybrid 'bits' would leave a slower RWD car. The larger engine and mechanical 4WD needed to restore the I8's power and traction would probably add back most of the 220 kg weight of the battery and motor/generators.

28 September 2014
If BMW goes ahead with their plan and stick a 3L V6 in this super hybrid, then let us all brace for a worthy competitor to the McLaren P1 and Porsche 918 Spyder.

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week