The G20 generation of BMW’s mid-size saloon has been spotted testing on track and European roads

These are the latest pictures of BMW’s next-generation 3 Series, which has been spotted testing on the Nürburgring.

The current F30 3 Series received a facelift last year, and its replacement – the G20 – isn’t expected to arrive until 2018. However, these new pictures confirm the new model is already at an advanced stage of development.

See what we make of the current generation BMW 3 Series saloon

The test mule's camouflage reveals little about the styling, but the G20 3 Series is expected to have much tighter features and a harder-edged exterior.

The G20 is also expected to introduce BMW’s turbocharged 1.5-litre three-cylinder engine to the 3 Series line-up, with turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol and diesel engines directly above it in the range.

More potent models, including the M3, will most likely still use turbocharged in-line six-cylinder units.

When it arrives, the G20 will have to conform to the EU’s next wave of emissions legislation, meaning it will be the first generation of 3 Series tasked with producing an average CO2 emissions output of less than 100g/km.

Like its predecessor, it’s expected to be available in both rear and four-wheel drive forms.

Our Verdict

BMW 3 Series saloon
BMW 3 Series is priced from £24,975

Revised saloon icon gets a superb engine and a more upmarket interior but less than definitive handling

Join the debate

Comments
6

20 January 2016

Hasn't the F30 LCI already introduced BMW’s turbocharged 1.5-litre three-cylinder engine to the 3 Series line-up?

20 January 2016
courtster wrote:

Hasn't the F30 LCI already introduced BMW’s turbocharged 1.5-litre three-cylinder engine to the 3 Series line-up?

Only as a hybrid driving the front wheels in the 330e. Not sure if you can even buy that yet. I think they mean as a stand alone engine.

20 January 2016
winniethewoo wrote:
courtster wrote:

Hasn't the F30 LCI already introduced BMW’s turbocharged 1.5-litre three-cylinder engine to the 3 Series line-up?

Only as a hybrid driving the front wheels in the 330e. Not sure if you can even buy that yet. I think they mean as a stand alone engine.

F30 LCI 318i has the new 1.5 3 cylinder, replaced the 1.6 in the 316i.

20 January 2016
JezyG wrote:
winniethewoo wrote:
courtster wrote:

Hasn't the F30 LCI already introduced BMW’s turbocharged 1.5-litre three-cylinder engine to the 3 Series line-up?

Only as a hybrid driving the front wheels in the 330e. Not sure if you can even buy that yet. I think they mean as a stand alone engine.

F30 LCI 318i has the new 1.5 3 cylinder, replaced the 1.6 in the 316i.

What is that? It isn't on BMW.co.uk nor bmw.de. Neither website has a 318i on the books with a 3 cylinder engine. Only the 2 series gran tourer has this engine.

20 January 2016
winniethewoo wrote:
JezyG wrote:
winniethewoo wrote:
courtster wrote:

Hasn't the F30 LCI already introduced BMW’s turbocharged 1.5-litre three-cylinder engine to the 3 Series line-up?

Only as a hybrid driving the front wheels in the 330e. Not sure if you can even buy that yet. I think they mean as a stand alone engine.

F30 LCI 318i has the new 1.5 3 cylinder, replaced the 1.6 in the 316i.

What is that? It isn't on BMW.co.uk nor bmw.de. Neither website has a 318i on the books with a 3 cylinder engine. Only the 2 series gran tourer has this engine.

Damn, I am wrong. I just looked it up. The 318i is a 3 cylinder 1.5l engine. Will shut up now.

23 June 2016

Hopefully the "tighter features and harder edged exterior" won't be so that BMW can hide another couple of inches in the dimensions......

 

 

It's all about the twisties........

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • First Drive
    26 July 2016
    An expensive but entertaining, intriguing and very usable road-going track car whose rarity may eventually underwrite its high price
  • First Drive
    26 July 2016
    French fashion brand Givenchy has come together with DS for a special edition DS 3. Is it now any closer to the class leaders?
  • 2016 Audi Q7 e-tron
    First Drive
    26 July 2016
    Plug-in hybrid Q7 promises economy of 156.9mpg and BIK rates of 10%. It’ll take you a while to recoup the £10k premium over a standard Q7, though
  • MG GS Exclusive DCT
    First Drive
    22 July 2016
    MG's crossover in self-shifting, top-spec form has limited appeal at this price
  • Lexus GS450h F Sport
    First Drive
    22 July 2016
    The Lexus GS450h might offer plenty of pace and reasonable running costs on paper, but diesel alternatives make more sense