Sporty, coupé-like BMW X2 is set to hit the UK in 2017 and share the X1’s underpinnings
19 January 2016

These are the latest spy pictures of the upcoming BMW X2, which will be positioned in between the second-generation X1 and the current X3 in BMW's line-up when it goes on sale in the second half of this year.

The BMW X2 concept has now been revealed. Click here to view it.

Based on the same platform as the X1, the X2 is set to be previewed by a thinly disguised concept car at the Geneva motor show in March.

BMW officials have already confirmed to Autocar that the X2 will follow the example of the larger X4 and X6 in receiving a uniquely styled steel body. These spy pictures show the X2 will be significantly longer and wider than the X1, with a shorter rear overhang and high-set bonnet. The extreme angle of the tailgate is designed to give the X2 a more coupé-like silhouette, differentiating it from the more practical X1.

This latest test mule was spotted winter testing in convoy with the current X1 and X3.

Like the X1, the X2 will initially be offered with a range of four-cylinder engines, with the likelihood of more economical three-cylinder units being added to the line-up within the first 12 months. They will include a powered-up version of BMW’s new B48 engine, which made its debut in the 2 Series Active Tourer, in a planned M Performance variant of the X2 scheduled for launch in 2018. 

In standard guise, the B48 engine makes 228bhp, although that is set to rise to somewhere in the region of 300bhp with changes to the induction system and other tweaks, in a move that is set to elevate the performance of the range-topping X2 to a level comparable with that of the Audi RS Q3.

Engines will be mated to either a six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic gearbox in combination with front or four-wheel drive.

The X2 will be produced alongside the X1 at BMW’s Regensburg factory in Germany, unlike the first-generation X1, which was built alongside the 1 Series and 3 Series at the company’s Leipzig plant. Increasing demand for key models and the establishment of production lines for the i3 electric car and i8 hybrid sports car at that site has forced BMW to reorganise its strategy.

Rivals for the X2 include the Range Rover Evoque, Land Rover Discovery Sport and the Volvo XC60.

Our Verdict

BMW X1
The BMW X1 is a rival for the VW Tiguan, Audi Q3 and Range Rover Evoque

The BMW X1 is fine to drive, but buyers looking for premium feel may be better served by rivals' offerings

Join the debate

Comments
14

15 May 2015

BMW should divert their efforts in designing their current model line so that it is more modern and appealing. This is diluting an already staid and tired range of vehicles BMW has which is falling behind from their competitors.

12 June 2015
ahaus wrote:

BMW should divert their efforts in designing their current model line so that it is more modern and appealing. This is diluting an already staid and tired range of vehicles BMW has which is falling behind from their competitors.

i miss the Bangle days. At least those models were modern and distinctive. I was following a Bangle 5er the other day, and it still looks relevant against today's latest cars. The current one, post facelift looks like an elongated 3 series from the mid 90s.

15 May 2015

Each new model BMW has released recently manages to look worse and more dated than the model it replaces. The X5 is one model that springs to mind. I still think the previous 3 looks better than the droopy-nosed current version. Those new rear light clusters on the refreshed 1 series look awful and the less said about the 7 seater 2 series Gran Tourer the better. From what I've seen of the new 7, disappointing doesn't begin to describe it. Hopefully the forthcoming X1 is a step in the right direction because, lets face it, it couldn't possibly look any worse than the current one. BMW seriously need to up their game as Mercedes and Audi are overtaking them in the style stakes.....and that's saying something!

15 May 2015

I thought the X4 was supposed to rival the Evoque (and Q5). Surely this will be more of a Q3 rival, for which JLR don't have a competitor?

15 May 2015

I think the scribes are obligated to mention a JLR product, whether or not it is relevant to the topic at hand. The X4 is the Evoque rival as mentioned in numerous articles about both vehicles.

GeToD

 

15 May 2015

BMW also needs to focus on the quality on its interiors as compared to so many rivals, they are awful and cheap feeling. Sit inside a current 1, 3 or 5 Series for example and everything you touch feels flimsy, unsubstantial and just plain cheap. When you pay that much for a BMW, it's a disgrace. Improving refinement wouldn't go amiss too as the tyre roar intrusion is quite something in many of their cars. BMW needs to start producing cars that are worthy of their price and so-called premium status, just like they did before they started chasing sales volumes and new models at the expense of quality, build and refinement.

15 May 2015
Saucerer wrote:

BMW also needs to focus on the quality on its interiors as compared to so many rivals, they are awful and cheap feeling. Sit inside a current 1, 3 or 5 Series for example and everything you touch feels flimsy, unsubstantial and just plain cheap. When you pay that much for a BMW, it's a disgrace. Improving refinement wouldn't go amiss too as the tyre roar intrusion is quite something in many of their cars. BMW needs to start producing cars that are worthy of their price and so-called premium status, just like they did before they started chasing sales volumes and new models at the expense of quality, build and refinement.

I've read a few of your posts where you've said the same thing and it simply isn't true. I own a current 3 and have owned the previous model. While there are some hard plastics in out of the way places where previously they were soft, to call the interior awful and cheap feeling is wide of the mark. It could be a bit better in places but it's generally as good as the Audi I used to own. The 1 in my experience is at least competitive against an A3 and as good as an A Class while the 5 has a superb interior. I can only assume that your comments are based on some sort of prejudice against BMW because they don't match my experience or any of the reviews I've read.

15 May 2015
Lee23404 wrote:

I've read a few of your posts where you've said the same thing and it simply isn't true. I own a current 3 and have owned the previous model. While there are some hard plastics in out of the way places where previously they were soft, to call the interior awful and cheap feeling is wide of the mark. It could be a bit better in places but it's generally as good as the Audi I used to own. The 1 in my experience is at least competitive against an A3 and as good as an A Class while the 5 has a superb interior. I can only assume that your comments are based on some sort of prejudice against BMW because they don't match my experience or any of the reviews I've read.

From someone in a family that used to have an Audi A6, Range Rover, Mercedes ML63 and BMW M5 and X5, I can say with certainty that the BMWs were lacking compared to all of their rivals. Boring to look at, twitchy to drive, and underwhelming inside.

BMW gets a free ride because of the badge, especially on AutoCar and AutoExpress which are German (and Volvo) funded. Jag RS, Merc AMG and Audi RS models easily trounce them. To have ANY hard plastics inside a BMW should ring alarm bells considering they cost a small fortune. I expect a few hard surfaces in a Kia, not a BMW.

12 June 2015
Lee23404 wrote:
Saucerer wrote:

BMW also needs to focus on the quality on its interiors as compared to so many rivals, they are awful and cheap feeling. Sit inside a current 1, 3 or 5 Series for example and everything you touch feels flimsy, unsubstantial and just plain cheap. When you pay that much for a BMW, it's a disgrace. Improving refinement wouldn't go amiss too as the tyre roar intrusion is quite something in many of their cars. BMW needs to start producing cars that are worthy of their price and so-called premium status, just like they did before they started chasing sales volumes and new models at the expense of quality, build and refinement.

I've read a few of your posts where you've said the same thing and it simply isn't true. I own a current 3 and have owned the previous model. While there are some hard plastics in out of the way places where previously they were soft, to call the interior awful and cheap feeling is wide of the mark. It could be a bit better in places but it's generally as good as the Audi I used to own. The 1 in my experience is at least competitive against an A3 and as good as an A Class while the 5 has a superb interior. I can only assume that your comments are based on some sort of prejudice against BMW because they don't match my experience or any of the reviews I've read.

I have to say, there is a reason why I haven't moved to a her or x3/4 or even a 5er. They always have a slightly harsh ride and feel fidgety. I would agree with Saucerer on interior quality. And tho is from someone who owns a W204. They don't feel as substantial like the BMWs from Bangle's time even. Yes they are fairly high quality but the premium you pay, you would expect something that didn't have flash moulding edges everywhere. I have also been reading recently the general slide of BMW in reliability ratings. For me, it is the ride and general look of the things that put me off with the current range. They need some style injecting. But all of the prestige 3 from Germany have this problem. Mercedes look fussy, BMW odd and boring, like elongated 3er from the 90s, Audi are starting to look like Skodas.

15 May 2015

I've had an F10 5s and a new 3 series in succession. The 5 was superb inside, the 3 series is majorly disappointing in terms of quality and styling inside. the current A4 is hugely dated inside. Merc in the lead with the C class for now with a new A4 to come. BMW need to sort the interior of the 3s very quickly and the revisions shown last week are basically not good enough.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week