Third-generation Octavia vRS to be offered with both punchy diesel and petrol engines; priced from £22,990

The fastest production Octavia in history, the new third-generation Skoda Octavia vRS, will cost between £22,990 and £25,450.

Offered with high-performance petrol and diesel engines in saloon and estate bodystyles, it is capable of 0-62mph in 6.8sec and a top speed of 154mph in its most potent petrol-powered state.

Set for a global reveal at the Goodwood Festival of Speed this week, the Skoda comes equipped with either a 217bhp 2.0-litre TSI petrol engine from the Volkswagen Golf GTI or a 181bhp 2.0 TDI diesel unit from the Golf GTD. The vRS diesel manages 0-62mph in 8.1sec and a 144mph top speed.

A six-speed manual gearbox is standard for both versions, whereas a six-speed DSG dual-clutch is optional. Fuel economy is said to be improved by 19 per cent over the previous-generation Octavia vRS.

Sports suspension is standard on the front-drive Octavia vRS, with an electronic XDS differential equipped as standard to help improve traction and reduce understeer. A ‘progressive’ steering set-up with a quicker rack also features.

The Octavia vRS is easily distinguished from more humble Octavias thanks to a series of sporty design changes. There is a new front grille, honeycomb air intakes, new front and rear bumpers, a black rear diffuser, chrome trapezoidal exhaust tips, a rear spoiler, LED rear lights and bi-xenon front headlights with integrated LEDs.

Alloy wheels of 17in, 18in and 19in in diameter are all offered, with 225/45 tyres offered on the 17s and 225/45s offered on the 18s and 19s. Sat behind the alloys are red brake calipers.

Inside, there are sports seats, a leather-wrapped sports steering wheel, stainless steel pedals and sill plates, and a new instrument panel. Black trim and vRS badging also feature.

The new Skoda Octavia vRS is due on sale in the UK in August.

Skoda Octavia vRS prices

Octavia vRS hatchback 2.0 TSI - £22,990

Octavia vRS hatchback 2.0 TSI 220PS DSG - £24,380

Octavia vRS hatchback 2.0 TDI CR 184PS DPF - £23,260

Octavia vRS hatchback 2.0 TDI CR 184PS DSG DPF - £24,650

Octavia vRS estate 2.0 TSI 220PS - £23,790

Octavia vRS estate 2.0 TSI 220PS DSG - £25,180

Octavia vRS estate 2.0 TDI CR 184PS DPF - £24,060

Octavia vRS estate 2.0 TDI CR 184PS DSG DPF - £25,450

Skoda Octavia vRS standard specification

18in Gemini anthracite alloy wheels

3 spoke MFSW for radio and tel with DSG paddles (auto only)

Acoustic rear parking sensors

Automatic post collision braking system

Bi-Xenon headlights +AFS+LED "DAY LIGHT" with dynamic angle control

Black door mirrors and handles

Bluetooth

DAB

Daytime LED running lights

Driver alert system (fatigue detection)

Driver knee airbag

Driving mode selection (eco/comfort/sport/custom)

Dual zone air conditioning with humidity sensor and control

Energy recovery

ESC incl ABS, EBV, MSR, ASR, EDS, HBA, DSR, XDS

Hill hold

Lane assistant

LED rear lights

Light assistant

Rear backrest release (estate)

Rear electric windows (with child safety switch)

Roof rails (estate only)

Sports suspension

Stop/start

Touchscreen "Bolero" (with single CD player & proximity sensor)

Tyre pressure monitoring+

Our Verdict

Skoda Octavia

Skoda’s practical and spacious family hatchback takes a step up in size

Join the debate

Comments
19

5 June 2013

Hope the rear suspension is better in the new model Octavia than the old. Needs to be.

5 June 2013

I had a last gen Octavia and the rear suspension was absolutely fine. Mine had the multi-link set up, maybe the torsion beam models were worse? If I remember correctly, the vRS and Laurin & Klement were the multi-link variants??

5 June 2013

Rich boy spanners wrote:

I had a last gen Octavia and the rear suspension was absolutely fine. Mine had the multi-link set up, maybe the torsion beam models were worse? If I remember correctly, the vRS and Laurin & Klement were the multi-link variants??

Very likely the Octavia minicabs I have travelled in were torsion beam type. Certainly most of them had basic, rather prison bleak, interiors.

Two points. Firstly the Vauxhall and Ford minicabs encountered gave a far better ride to the paying customer, both in terms of seating and suspension. Apart from one Vauxhall all these cars were to a basic enough specification. Secondly, other makers can produce comfortable torsion beam suspended vehicles, sometimes considerably smaller ones with low profile tyres to boot, which ought to cause Skoda furiously to think.

And cause Skodaphiles to remove the beams (so sorry) from their own eyes as well!

5 June 2013

Skoda are on a roll at the moment with the Citigo, and the new Octavia, Superb and Yeti (they did hiccup with the Rapid, but you can't win them all) ... I just wish they would do something URGENTLY about the Fabia because it's looking SERIOUSLY tired and dated in their otherwise excellent line-up of vehicles ...

10 July 2013

Suzuki QT wrote:

Skoda are on a roll at the moment with the Citigo, and the new Octavia, Superb and Yeti (they did hiccup with the Rapid, but you can't win them all) ... I just wish they would do something URGENTLY about the Fabia because it's looking SERIOUSLY tired and dated in their otherwise excellent line-up of vehicles ...

It is in fact the Fabia that is Skoda's best seller in the UK and although I haven't seen one Rapid on road yet its not doing badly either. Its probably our police lapping up the majority of Skodas. The rest are picked by private hire firms. Perhaps free vat does the trick for both.

I do however agree that Skoda needs to do something substantial to Fabia to attract private buyers outside the blue rinse brigade. I have to date seen only one young fella driving a Fabia. It was a VRS variant. He was driving it like crazy to show off that its not just any Fabia.

11 July 2013

fadyady wrote:

Suzuki QT wrote:

Skoda are on a roll at the moment with the Citigo, and the new Octavia, Superb and Yeti (they did hiccup with the Rapid, but you can't win them all) ... I just wish they would do something URGENTLY about the Fabia because it's looking SERIOUSLY tired and dated in their otherwise excellent line-up of vehicles ...

It is in fact the Fabia that is Skoda's best seller in the UK and although I haven't seen one Rapid on road yet its not doing badly either. Its probably our police lapping up the majority of Skodas. The rest are picked by private hire firms. Perhaps free vat does the trick for both.

I do however agree that Skoda needs to do something substantial to Fabia to attract private buyers outside the blue rinse brigade. I have to date seen only one young fella driving a Fabia. It was a VRS variant. He was driving it like crazy to show off that its not just any Fabia.

The Mk1 Fabia looks more 'up-to-date' and in line with the current Skoda styling - but given how long the Mk1 and Mk2 stayed in production (and that the Mk2 is essentially a light re-skin of the Mk1), Skoda needs to get the next Fabia and Roomster right.  I don't know if it will be a Rapid with a stubbier rear end, or something more characterful.

The new Octavia RS looks great - I wonder if there would be much interest in a 4x4 RS, if they pitched it at about £26.5k? 

5 June 2013

'Sat behind the alloys are red brake calipers.'

I thought the signature of a vRS was Green brake calipers?

Octavia MK1 had Green calipers. Looked for pics of Mk2 and found some with Green brake calipers. I thought it looked distinctive and suited the car.  I suppose if Cardiff City FC can change from Blue to Red and get away with it, what's a brake caliper.....

MrJ

5 June 2013

Enjoyed my vRS Estate, so am looking forward to trying the new one.

Like an Opel Astra Estate I ran for 110k trouble-free miles, I found the handling and ride of the vRS Estate better than the standard version.

Fabia now seems to be the weak link in the looks dept at Skoda, so I guess it's next in line for some new clothes. 

5 June 2013

looks surprisingly nice given how bland the base car is.

 

 

5 June 2013

Granturismo wrote:

looks surprisingly nice given how bland the base car is.

 

I'd agree, it gives the car a little more to distinguish it from the fleets of private hire Octavias out there with starship mileage on them.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week