New i8 Roadster, an i3 with an improved range, and an all-new model called i NEXT confirmed by BMW

Three new BMW i models have been confirmed, including the i8 Roadster, a revised i3 and a brand new model called BMW i NEXT.

In 2018, the i8 will get a droptop sibling, called i8 Roadster, a version of which was revealed at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas back in January as the BMW i Vision Future Interaction concept (pictured).

Read our BMW i3 94Ah review here

No details have been confirmed but sources say it will closely reflect the i8 Roadster concept first revealed in 2012, and most recently seen as a doorless version at CES.

Following the success of the i8 coupe, the i8 Roadster was an inevitable next step. Its engine and performance figures are sure to echo the coupe, which uses a three-cylinder 1.5-litre petrol engine alongside the electric motor. It has 357bhp, a 0-62mph time of 4.4sec and a top speed of 155mph.

A new BMW i3 in both pure electric and range-extender forms has also been announced, with a revised design and an increased battery capacity of 50%.

Another confirmation by BMW is an all-new i model launched early in the next decade, to be called BMW i NEXT.

Speaking at BMW’s annual accounts press conference, Harald Kruger, chairman of the board of management at BMW AG, described the new model as the “new spearhead of innovation and technology”.

“It will enable us to take BMW i to the next level,” said Kruger. He said it will cover all aspects relevant for future cars, including autonomous driving, digital connectivity and intelligent lightweight construction as well as the next generation of electro-mobility.”

Remarking on the success of BMW i, Kruger said: “With BMW i, we have managed to very quickly create a globally known brand that embodies sustainability. Since its introduction in 2013, we have delivered more than 50,000 BMW i vehicles to customers. Today, the BMW i lineup has a larger market presence than any other electric vehicle. BMW i assumes a key role as an enabler for our BMW core brand: BMW i attracts new customers to BMW.”

BMW is quickly gaining momentum with electrified drivetrains, having already announced it will offer all BMW models with a plug-in hybrid drive operation in coming years. From July, customers will be able to choose from a total of seven BMW models that are either fully electric or fitted with a plug-in hybrid drive. 

Our Verdict

BMW i8
The BMW i8 joins the i3 as part of the firm's 'i' range of vehicles

Can BMW's baby hypercar blow the lid off performance convention?

Join the debate

Comments
17

16 March 2016

BMW i8 packs futuristic tech and looks astonishing too. Given the never ending appetite for SUVs BMW may have missed an opportunity with the i3. It's tall-ish stance would have suited SUV shape better.

16 March 2016

Every bit of me wants an i3. It feels like a modern-day Audi A2 but even more futuristic. I just wish its range was longer - I hope this is released soon.


"Work hard and be nice to people"

16 March 2016
Mini2 wrote:

Every bit of me wants an i3

Thank you for sharing that. Like many, I was wondering what "every bit of you" really wanted and now I know.

It's not often people decide to make such revealing proclamations but hey this is 2016. Each to their own, as they say.

16 March 2016

"Incredibly expensive PR stunt" which, whilst technically admirable, is haemorrhaging money.

Then there is the Nissan Leaf, which has never made any money either and is now in decline.

Gilded milk floats which need squillions of state subsidy to shift tiny volumes. Some revolution.

16 March 2016
Norma Smellons wrote:

.....

Then there is the Nissan Leaf, which has never made any money either and is now in decline.

Gilded milk floats which need squillions of state subsidy to shift tiny volumes. Some revolution.

And you have inside information regarding the accounts at Nissan. In decline, that'll explain why they're investing in a new model for late next year. Can't wait for your comments regarding the BMW plug-ins, Kia EV and the Telsa model 3, even you may struggle to rubbish that, although I'm sure you'll try.

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

16 March 2016
xxxx wrote:

And you have inside information regarding the accounts at Nissan

No-one would ever need that; it's blindingly obvious from the sales figures.

Which reveal that the Leaf has wilted somewhat in the US. And in a world where a quarter of a million units per line is barely enough to attain a slender profit, the Leaf topped out at 15,000 across all of Europe. So this car could not possibly make a profit, unless it was vastly more expensive.

And that's with the subsidies. Fact is, if the subsidies didn't exist then most EVs wouldn't, either.

I find it strange that card-carrying EV fans don't take more comfort in all of this. That is, knowing that their car is far more expensive to make than they paid for it.

By the way, the Luddites only attacked superior forms of technology. Not heavily compromised ones which needed vast hand-outs to survive. They'd have loved the EV!

17 March 2016
Norma Smellons wrote:
xxxx wrote:

And you have inside information regarding the accounts at Nissan

No-one would ever need that;

In other words you've NO evidence, just ranting. Conveniently didn't counter the argument about Nissan being in it for the long term (evidence is the fact they're bring out a replacement next year) which proves there is profit to be made.

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

19 March 2016
xxxx wrote:

In other words you've NO evidence

The awful sales figures are the evidence. Concrete evidence which, I might add, I have taken the trouble to quantify. I didn't need to do that; I did it as a courtesy to explain the basis of my argument. So your point that this is a "rant" is quite wrong.

I can just about comprehend why some people might be upset by the sharp decline in Nissan Leaf sales. They like the car, etc. They're fans. Good for them. But to deny the facts of the matter is bizarre indeed.

17 March 2016

Thought you might be interested in the following (as you like selected 2016 sales information) "Nissan LEAF astonishes again in Japan! After strong January with 2,503 sales and 28th place on the top sellers list"

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

17 March 2016

Where've you got the figure of a quarter of a million units per line is profitable? Two of the three Nissan plants are based at producing 50,000 a year max, so if the numbers were too low they'd shut down a production line. Given the interchangeability of the leaf lines with ICE car's they'd be able to change this over very quickly if required.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Car review
    9 December 2016
    Audi Sport drops a sub-4.0sec-to-60mph bomb into Porsche Cayman territory
  • First Drive
    9 December 2016
    Plug-in-hybrid 3 Series shows the benefit of BMW's experience with the i3 and i8. Sophisticated, swift and broadly talented to drive – and sweet-handing, too
  • Car review
    9 December 2016
    Italian brand emerges as a true luxury power with a large SUV
  • 2016 Porsche Panamera Turbo
    First Drive
    8 December 2016
    A smaller engine doesn't prevent the new Porsche Panamera Turbo being a ridiculously quick and capable sporting GT. We've driven it in the UK
  • 2016 Vauxhall Adam 1.0i Turbo Unlimited
    First Drive
    8 December 2016
    The 1.0-litre turbo engine and Unlimited trim combine to make this the best Adam in the line-up