New tech will deliver 170-mile range - and it's 'in sight', says Winterkorn

Volkswagen is closing in on a new battery technology that will bring “a quantum leap for the electric car”, according to the firm’s boss Martin Winterkorn.

The German manufacturer has been relatively cautious on developing pure EVs - although it has introduced the e-Up, e-Golf and Golf GTE in the past 18 months. Winterkorn told German tabloid newspaper Bild, "VW is researching a super-battery in Silicon Valley in California, that is cheaper, smaller and more powerful. An electric Volkswagen that can travel 300km (186 miles) on electricity is in sight. It will be a quantum leap for the electric car.”

The ranges quoted by Winterkorn are still some way short of those offered by the likes of the Tesla Model S. However, they would be substantial for a more affordable all-electric vehicle - the next generation of e-Golf, for example.

Winterkorn also revealed that VW will launch a three-wheeled semi-scooter called the Last Mile Surfer - in effect a rival to the Segway - that’s designed to be carried in a car and then used for the final phase of the journey.

He said, “It’s a battery-powered scooter with three wheels, similar to the Segway. Our model is much better, though - more elegant and smaller - and with a price under 1000 euros (£710) it is much cheaper. The Last Mile Surfer can be folded and stowed in the boot.”

Join the debate

Comments
18

28 June 2015

Although even if they announced 500 miles on a single charge it would be rubbished by some luddites on this website.

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

28 June 2015
xxxx wrote:

Although even if they announced 500 miles on a single charge it would be rubbished by some luddites on this website.

The Luddites only attacked new technologies which actually worked, so they wouldn't have given a toss about EVs.

3 September 2015

Spot on, Norma. Electric cars are a step backwards, in practicality, convenience, affordability and environmental impact.

I don't need to put my name here, it's on the left

 

28 June 2015
xxxx wrote:

Although even if they announced 500 miles on a single charge it would be rubbished by some luddites on this website.

Yes! It would be the energy consumption required to produce the batteries, or the fire risk in a crash or the estuary bird habitant disturbed by new tidal power generators or something. Because if its new, it needs to perfect in everyway right from the outset!

28 June 2015

Wake me up when someone can give me a cast-iron, copper-bottomed 300 miles for the same purchase price as an ICE and without any subsidies; I don't want to take backward steps and if it can't be supplied I'm not interested.

28 June 2015
beechie wrote:

Wake me up when someone can give me a cast-iron, copper-bottomed 300 miles for the same purchase price as an ICE and without any subsidies; I don't want to take backward steps and if it can't be supplied I'm not interested.

Don't forget that in the UK its cold 300 days out of 365 so you need a battery that can also supply 3kw for heat well as propulsion. VW's 186 in say Spain will become 110 in the UK, then get stuck on the M25 on a cold day and hello range anxiety again. Nope I will keep my PHEV's nice little petrol engine tucked away in there for a while yet thank you.

29 June 2015
The Apprentice wrote:
beechie wrote:

Wake me up when someone can give me a cast-iron, copper-bottomed 300 miles for the same purchase price as an ICE and without any subsidies; I don't want to take backward steps and if it can't be supplied I'm not interested.

Don't forget that in the UK its cold 300 days out of 365 so you need a battery that can also supply 3kw for heat well as propulsion. VW's 186 in say Spain will become 110 in the UK, then get stuck on the M25 on a cold day and hello range anxiety again. Nope I will keep my PHEV's nice little petrol engine tucked away in there for a while yet thank you.

Makes you wonder how they get of the drive in Norway, check out their EV sales, where it's far colder than UK.

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

29 June 2015
xxxx wrote:
The Apprentice wrote:
beechie wrote:

Wake me up when someone can give me a cast-iron, copper-bottomed 300 miles for the same purchase price as an ICE and without any subsidies; I don't want to take backward steps and if it can't be supplied I'm not interested.

Don't forget that in the UK its cold 300 days out of 365 so you need a battery that can also supply 3kw for heat well as propulsion. VW's 186 in say Spain will become 110 in the UK, then get stuck on the M25 on a cold day and hello range anxiety again. Nope I will keep my PHEV's nice little petrol engine tucked away in there for a while yet thank you.

Makes you wonder how they get of the drive in Norway, check out their EV sales, where it's far colder than UK.

I didn't say they didn't work in the cold, the point was they don't go very far! (unless you like driving in your overcoat)

11 August 2015

That is why EV sales are so good in Norway. You pay only half the price of a Tesla or any other EV in Norway. Something that will be a short lived incentive as it can't go much further with government wanting their tax money. And it wasn't meant to help wealthy buying luxury cars (Tesla) which has angered quite a few in Norway.

Dan

28 June 2015

I'm not sure who are worse, the current shape Civic fanciers, or the luddites.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Car review
    9 December 2016
    Audi Sport drops a sub-4.0sec-to-60mph bomb into Porsche Cayman territory
  • First Drive
    9 December 2016
    Plug-in-hybrid 3 Series shows the benefit of BMW's experience with the i3 and i8. Sophisticated, swift and broadly talented to drive – and sweet-handing, too
  • Car review
    9 December 2016
    Italian brand emerges as a true luxury power with a large SUV
  • 2016 Porsche Panamera Turbo
    First Drive
    8 December 2016
    A smaller engine doesn't prevent the new Porsche Panamera Turbo being a ridiculously quick and capable sporting GT. We've driven it in the UK
  • 2016 Vauxhall Adam 1.0i Turbo Unlimited
    First Drive
    8 December 2016
    The 1.0-litre turbo engine and Unlimited trim combine to make this the best Adam in the line-up