Next generation X-Trail targets the Ford Mondeo and other big saloons; new Nissan SUV is a road-biased SUV
8 August 2013

The all-new Nissan X-Trail has been revealed at the Frankfurt motor show - with UK sales tipped to get under way later this year. 

The new car has been given much clearer positioning within the Nissan line-up. When the next-generation Qashqai arrives early next year, there will be no seven-seat version, so the X-Trail will be Nissan’s sole offering in the seven-seat SUV segment.

The firm closely previewed the new X-Trail with its stylish Hi-Cross concept at the 2012 Geneva motor show. The new X-Trail promises more road-biased ride and handling than the outgoing car. 

But the added style and dynamic improvements has not come at the expense of off-road ability, claim insiders. They say the new X-Trail is just as capable as the current car off-road when equipped with the optional four-wheel drive system.

Front-wheel drive is tipped to be offered as standard to help make the economy better than the current car’s. The core engine will be a significantly updated version of the current X-Trail’s 2.0-litre diesel engine, optionally mated to a newly-developed Xtronic CVT gearbox.

The interior, also previewed by the Hi-Cross concept, is set to be significantly improved both in terms of design and quality over the current X-Trail’s. Standard equipment levels will also increase.

Speaking at the Frankfurt motor show, Renault-Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn said: "This fourth generation model builds on the X-Trail's earned reputation for value, innovation, style and reliability. This also replaces the US market Rogue to become a sole global car for us, it will be built in five plants worldwide and sold in more than 100 markets. It's another segment busting model for us like Juke and Qashqai.

"The X-Trail introduces a new platform [Common Module Family] that will be rolled out over next five years on everything from a small Indian market car to a large premium offering. [The Module] maximises volume and cost efficiency and allows us to pass on savings, the economy is up to 20 per cent better model for model.

Ghosn also hinted that further development of the X-Trail is also underway, with a new seven-seat option with a sliding second row of seats to provide more space and flexibility. The X-Trail is set to provide 'unexpected levels of comfort and quietness', says Nissan, with plenty of soft-touch materials used inside and a fatigue-free seat design. 

The aim with the new X-Trail is to score a sales success against conventional saloons like the Ford Mondeo and Vauxhall Insignia. “Building on the popularity of the Qashqai in its segment, the idea is to repeat its success in the D-segment,” a source revealed to Autocar at the Hi-Cross’s launch. The new Ford S-Max, also set for a Frankfurt reveal, is another target for the X-Trail.

Click here for more Frankfurt motor show news.

Our Verdict

The Nissan X-Trail has well-judged ride and handling, but it gets expensive when kit is added

Join the debate

Comments
11

A34

9 August 2013

I thought "non-premium" D class cars were a dying, fleet-only breed? The Qu for Nissan is how to persuade top-10 seller BMW 3 series buyers to buy Xtrails, and repeating the Qashcow's success seems logical to try. But the 3 series competition is more likely to be the Evoque (premium small SUV) so a larger "less premium" Nissan will be an interesting sell. Good luck to Nissan though as the 4x4 MPV from a quality supplier could indeed prove a hit...

13 August 2013

A34 wrote:

I thought "non-premium" D class cars were a dying, fleet-only breed? The Qu for Nissan is how to persuade top-10 seller BMW 3 series buyers to buy Xtrails, and repeating the Qashcow's success seems logical to try. But the 3 series competition is more likely to be the Evoque (premium small SUV) so a larger "less premium" Nissan will be an interesting sell. Good luck to Nissan though as the 4x4 MPV from a quality supplier could indeed prove a hit...

This is much more likely to go up against cars like the Kia Sorento and the new Hyundai Santa Fe which is doing quite well for itself in the sales charts. Decent quality 7 seaters are in limited supply in the UK with 7 seaters from premium brands like the Discovery, Q7, X5 etc being in a completely different (£50k plus) price bracket, the XC90 is the only (semi) premium model that's close, and that will change once the new XC90 comes along and the £10k plus discounts on the ageing current model disappear. 

11 September 2013
Orangewheels wrote:

A34 wrote:

I thought "non-premium" D class cars were a dying, fleet-only breed? The Qu for Nissan is how to persuade top-10 seller BMW 3 series buyers to buy Xtrails, and repeating the Qashcow's success seems logical to try. But the 3 series competition is more likely to be the Evoque (premium small SUV) so a larger "less premium" Nissan will be an interesting sell. Good luck to Nissan though as the 4x4 MPV from a quality supplier could indeed prove a hit...

This is much more likely to go up against cars like the Kia Sorento and the new Hyundai Santa Fe which is doing quite well for itself in the sales charts. Decent quality 7 seaters are in limited supply in the UK with 7 seaters from premium brands like the Discovery, Q7, X5 etc being in a completely different (£50k plus) price bracket, the XC90 is the only (semi) premium model that's close, and that will change once the new XC90 comes along and the £10k plus discounts on the ageing current model disappear. 

Exactly!

9 August 2013

The original X-trail was a great car. A worthy Freelander rival. Hoever this next generation, I suspect is going to be bit of a Mr blobby.

www.KOOOLcr.com

 

9 August 2013

I've always liked the chunky, squared off looks of the X-trail, but this new model looks pretty generic. But I'm not a customer for this type of vehicle so perhaps that's what the buyers want.

MrJ

9 August 2013

The current X-Trail seems to be an honestly different, chunky bit of kit, and a fine alternative to a Freelander.

This new one looks like it's going down the generic blobmobile look, so will probably have little interest for me.

It will have to be very good indeed to match the handling of either the Mondeo or Insignia.

13 August 2013

Another one with thumbs up for the current X-trail. Seems to be an honest no-nonsense car - does exactly what it says on the tin. Would certainly be near the top of my list if I were in the market for such a vehicle.

That said, the pretentious Qashqui has been a massive hit for Nissan so don't blame them if they follow the trend with the new X-trail.

10 September 2013
Autocar wrote:

with UK sales tipped to get under way later this year

Nissan's press release says the new X-Trail isn't launched until next year, with global sales beginning in July 2014.


10 September 2013

Take away the badge and this could be from any Japanese manufacturer.

11 September 2013

I like it a lot, looks modern but still a bit chunky, front is a bit Mitsubishi style. No silly sloping roof line so should have a great load capacity and decent visibility. It all depends on what Nissan can do with engines and emissions. For those of us that need a 'working car' to haul lots of gear, reasonable on car tax, non stressful cruising distances but has 4 wheel drive ability because staying home in the snow is not an option, it sounds promising. I sounds like refinement is going to be a high priority and ride comfort with the smart suspension. All good for me.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • First Drive
    22 December 2014
    Entry-level diesel MPV shares its three-cylinder engine with Mini but, due to long gearing, lacks the authoritative punch of a convincing premium product
  • Car review
    17 December 2014
    The replacement for the CL grand tourer has some big boots to fill
  • Mercedes-Benz CLS 350 AMG Line Shooting Brake review
    First Drive
    16 December 2014
    Elegant, alluring and with some welcome improvements, but not good enough to lead the class
  • First Drive
    15 December 2014
    Hushed, flexible and remarkable value for money. Arguably more fit-for-purpose than any other ‘S’.
  • 2015 Mazda CX-3 review
    First Drive
    12 December 2014
    The Mazda CX-3 has style and substance, and deserves consideration for anyone wanting a compact urban SUV. Here’s hoping Mazda gets the price and equipment right