Currently reading: VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne recall: UK figures confirmed
A faulty pedal mechanism is cited as the reason behind a recall of 391,000 VW Touaregs and 409,477 Porsche Cayennes built between 2011 and 2016
Jim Holder
News
1 min read
29 March 2016

The Volkswagen Group is recalling 391,000 VW Touaregs and 409,477 Porsche Cayennes built between 2011 and 2016 because of a fault with the pedal mechanism.

In an official statement, the VW Group said the recall was necessary because “a circlip could be loose on the bearing bracket for pedals”.

A Porsche statement added: "The problem was found during internal inspections and remedied in the ongoing series. Vehicle owners will be contacted directly by the Porsche dealer responsible for them. A workshop appointment that will be free of charge will be arranged as quickly as possible and will take less than half an hour."

Both the VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne are built on the same underpinnings, explaining why the problem is common to both cars. The VW Group says 17,219 Touaregs are affected in the UK, while Porsche has said 14,600 UK-based Cayennes are affected.

The announcement is another blow to the VW Group as it prepares to face legal and regulatory proceedings in the US regarding the emissions cheating scandal.

The VW Group is under pressure to present the California Air Resources Board with a satisfactory fix for the 600,000 cars affected by the scandal in the US, while legal proceedings are gathering pace. Some analysts have predicted that VW’s fines for the emissions cheat could top $40 billion (£28bn).

Advertisement
Advertisement

Find an Autocar review

Join the debate

Comments
13
Add a comment…
danielcoote 30 March 2016

But I thought...

.....nothing ever went wrong with VW Group cars?

Confused

;@)

TS7 26 March 2016

It's because...

... the EPA tests include a cold start sequence. VAG includes a cat heater in the US to 'cheat' this part of the procedure. The eurofag tests allow fully warmed engine..
Ruperts Trooper 26 March 2016

TS7 wrote: ... the EPA tests

TS7 wrote:

... the EPA tests include a cold start sequence. VAG includes a cat heater in the US to 'cheat' this part of the procedure. The eurofag tests allow fully warmed engine..

The EU test doesn't allow "fully warmed engine" - it allows the "cold" start to be tested between 20-30 degrees Celcius. In the UK it's very obvious to ordinary motorists how much extra fuel is used in winter with cold starts 0-10 degrees compared to summer at 15-25. EU testing is a farce.

fadyady 25 March 2016

What? No recall for...

I thought these cars would be recalled for fixing emissions as Porsche, Audi wagon have done in the US. But no such relief for the European customers. As generally we seem quite happy with a higher level of fatal emissions.
Ruperts Trooper 26 March 2016

fadyady wrote: I thought

fadyady wrote:

I thought these cars would be recalled for fixing emissions as Porsche, Audi wagon have done in the US. But no such relief for the European customers. As generally we seem quite happy with a higher level of fatal emissions.

No need, in Europe - the Touareg, Cayenne and Q7 aren't involved in the EU end of the emissions issue - as they don't use any of the affected 4-cylinder engines - they only use V6, V8, V10 and W12 engines.

fadyady 29 March 2016

Ruperts Trooper wrote: No

Ruperts Trooper wrote:

No need, in Europe - the Touareg, Cayenne and Q7 aren't involved in the EU end of the emissions issue - as they don't use any of the affected 4-cylinder engines - they only use V6, V8, V10 and W12 engines.

Porsche Audi wagon do not use 4-cylinder diesel engines in Cayenne and Touareg. The US has found at fault the group's bigger diesel engines as well.

Find an Autocar car review