Toyota Yaris VVi 1.33 MMT , Semi Auto. I am suffering from it

I just purchased a Toyota Yaris Semi Auto 1.33 MMT 2006 last week. As I only hold an Automatic driving licence, I have not driven a manual car before. When I was told this Yaris is automatic (the salesman did not tell me it is semi auto) before I bought it, I thought it would be the same quality as my old Toyota Yaris (2002) which I sold 2 months ago. I had not investigated the latest car reviews, actually Toyota won't produce any fully auto gear box in small cars anymore.

When I drove this car last week I stopped before the red traffic light on the road, hand break on, I put handbreak off when the red light changed to Green, but the car rolled backwards just before I switched my foot from break pedal to the accelerator. I was panic as the car nearly hit the car behind me, and I have never experienced this before, I assume the manual car driver can handle it. I was told the Automatic car only can forward when it is in driving gear. now I learned this weird gearbox is actually sequential manual gearbox, it has a clutch which is controlled by a hydraulic motor and an actuator unit that selects the gears for you. It is all controlled by a rather smart ECU. I feel the car drives me instead I drive the car, automatically selected unexpected gear, so I was jumping leaping in the car all the time when I am driving on the even flat surface road especially approching the junction, it was dangerous! So here I am asking for any suggestion , your opinion, or experience on this matter. I want to buy a pure fully Automatic car which has hill assist, won't roll back.

I am trying to return this car back to Toyota dealer after I read so many expert reviews and reports about this model. as I paid cash to buy this car, I am not sure if I can return this car ASAP, but as I said I was misled to purchase it. The salesman kept saying that I will get used to the new system, but if it's supposed to be automatic in operation, why do i have to change my driving habits?

I wonder if anyone knows the legal regulations regarding an used car purchase within 1 week, Am I entitled to get a fully refund?

Thank you for your help.

Quin

I also have a semi auto yaris

2 years 19 hours ago

I also have a semi auto yaris which is causinG me major problems.

Last December I had to have a clutch actuator fitted very expensivenoes my clutch hasgone.  Toyota are saying it is not covered by actuator warranty and is going to cost £900 .  I am not convinced the two arenot related. Does anyone know what thea clutch actuator actually does?

Toyota is my choose car 

2 years 8 weeks ago

Toyota is my choose car  ever.. I want to have my own toyota car..

How to seduce a woman

That's a bit harsh, guys.

2 years 10 weeks ago

That's a bit harsh, guys. Some people are physically unable to drive a manual but are perfectly safe, competent drivers of autos. Mrs 60 for one (though she does have a manual licence but couldn't get one now if sitting her test).

"There's a fine line between wrong and visionary. Unfortunately, you have to be a visionary to see it." - Dr Sheldon Cooper

I agree with this. Of all the

2 years 10 weeks ago

I agree with this. Of all the people I have known who learned to drive later in life the best was someone who made the mistake, for she acknowledged this, of learning in an automatic car. She had judgement, confidence and skill. Above all she had none of the cliche elderly motorist habits of messing around and holding other traffic up.

now I learned this weird

2 years 10 weeks ago

now I learned this weird gearbox is actually sequential manual gearbox, it has a clutch which is controlled by a hydraulic motor and an actuator unit that selects the gears for you. It is all controlled by a rather smart ECU. I feel the car drives me instead I drive the car, automatically selected unexpected gear, so I was jumping leaping in the car all the time when I am driving on the even flat surface road especially approching the junction, it was dangerous! So here I am asking for any suggestion ,

How about seeking appropriate

2 years 10 weeks ago

How about seeking appropriate tuition ? The sooner you learn to drive properley the better. Could be cheaper than changing the car again.

Uncle Mellow wrote: How

2 years 10 weeks ago

Uncle Mellow wrote:

How about seeking appropriate tuition ? The sooner you learn to drive properley the better. Could be cheaper than changing the car again.

Agreed. I am horrified that there is even such a thing as an Automatic only license. How bloody ridiculous! Maybe I am old fashioned, but driving is like flying - there is only one way to take off and land (properly).

what's life without imagination

http://kd2.org/r/txt

2 years 10 weeks ago

http://kd2.org/r/txt

It sounds like a similar

2 years 10 weeks ago

It sounds like a similar system to my old C2, you would have to press gently on the throttle to feel the car gently pulling before releasing the handbrake, as its a single clutch system the changes are not always smooth but can be made so by throttle modulation, its a far from perfect system but is much cheaper to run than a torque converter auto, and using the paddles to change  you could gently lift as you changed enabling smooth changes, it was a pig though in slow moving traffic as it felt as though the clutch were being ridden the suddenly engaged causing rising revs and jerky progress. If you are successful in returning it the old and latest honda jazz has a cvt auto which would probably meet your needs though be wary as the new jazz when launched had a similar system to your yaris and was only replaced last year, i think, with the cvt auto, as customers were not happy with it

It's a bit of a grey area,

2 years 10 weeks ago

It's a bit of a grey area, this automatic / semi-automatic business. As far as I can make out, they can call it an automatic as it has a mode whereby not only do you not have to use the clutch, it will select an appropriate gear. As far as the DSA are concerned, it's an auto and you can drive it on an automatic licence. Having said that, the internet is full of people moaning about them. I suppose one question is, did you take a test drive? In other words, were you aware of the roll back before you took delivery? If not, I hope that the garage will take your car back as a gesture of good faith, though I doubt that they are legally obliged to. If you are prepared to go without a car until a suitable auto comes in to the dealership, you might find they are fairly willing to do a swap with little loss to yourself.

If all else fails, grit your teeth and trade it in at a Nissan or Hyundai / Kia dealership for something you're happy with. You'll lose money, but you won't be miserable for however long you'd feel obliged to keep the car otherwise.

"There's a fine line between wrong and visionary. Unfortunately, you have to be a visionary to see it." - Dr Sheldon Cooper

Don't Toyota offer a 30

2 years 10 weeks ago

Don't Toyota offer a 30 day/500 mile exchange policy on approved used cars?

Please register or login to post a comment.