overheating renault clio 1998 1.2 issues please help

Hi

Ive been having problems with my car overheating.

First of all the radiator was stone cold after the car had been running for 10minutes and overheated. So we changed the thermostat....this then caused the radiator to heat up, however car was still overheating and saw that that the radiator fan wasnt spinning.

After having a look in the manual, it showed that the relay was connected to the radiator fan, so today I bought a new relay, and the fan is now spinning however STILL my car is overheating? Its is at the moment running on water not coolant, but I doubt that is th cause.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Amanda

Re: overheating renault clio 1998 1.2 issues please help

5 years 23 weeks ago

just found out there could be a air lock in the heater matrix, does anyone know how I would get rid of that? thanks

5 years 23 weeks ago

You'll have to drain the system, refill and bleed. Usually have to set the heater controls to full hot. Best you get a Haynes manual - will be covered in sevicing: coolant changing - or before shelling out £20 google 'renault clio coolant changing' or suchlike. Usually for most cars now there's reams of info. on standard servicing jobs. Alternatively get your man, husband/boyfriend to do it, as a bloke should.

5 years 23 weeks ago

Could be an air lock, but it sounds more like a water pump problem.

If you think it may be an airlock, start from fresh. Drop the bottom hose off the radiator (or the lowest hose on the engine) and drain all the fluid. Re-connect and refill the system, making sure if there are any bleed screws on the engine that they are undone. When the water / antifreeze has filled the system, the bleed screws should... well... bleed. Tighten them, refit your expansion tank cap and start the car. Check as you have been.

If this doesn't work, then it could be the water pump. Visual inspection first, is the belt that runs it still there or still going round. If so, make sure you can see the pulley which it drives revolving. Other than that, drop the hose off nearest to the pump, run the car and you should feel some sort of pressure. If your getting nothing then its rubber ducked.

You've covered the other issues, thermostat and sensors.

Best of luck.

It's all about the twisties........

5 years 22 weeks ago

Also does this sound like a head gasket problem?

thanks

5 years 22 weeks ago

Potentially.

Take off the oil filler cap and look on its underside. If it has a white sludgy build up on it (sometimes referred to as cottage cheese - although it has a brown tinge) then yes, potentially a problem.

Other tell tales are loosing water with no visible sign of where its going and if it fires on three (or less) cylinders on a regular basis.

It's all about the twisties........

Please register or login to post a comment.