Mondeo ST220 vs Mondeo ST TDCI

Hi, I'm new to the forum and thought I would ask you all for some advice. I'm looking into buying either the V6 ST220 or the ST TDCI Mondeo and am being pulled in two different directions by my head and my heart. Obviously my heart is pulling me towards the V6 ST220 but every time I look at one all I can think of are the running costs and so my head pulls me towards the diesel. Does anyone have any experience of these mondeos, I have yet to drive either. I have also considered a Focus ST170 as some sort of compromise. My budget is around the £7,500 mark. Thanks

Re: Mondeo ST220 vs Mondeo ST TDCI

4 years 12 weeks ago

Only tried a ST TDCI a few times as a hire car.

Excellent car and in my opinion, the best all round Mondie.

The only way to be sure is to try each and decide.

4 years 12 weeks ago

Welocome to the forum Tigerwoods97.

I have not driven the ST220 but I have driven the diesel and can say with confidence that it goes rather well for such a big car, it even has an extra surprise up it's sleeve that when you depress the accelerator to the floor it unleashes a great dollop of more torque.

If it were me I would go with the diesel.

4 years 12 weeks ago

The only thing I'd say about the TDCI is that I found it surprisingly unrefined. There is a most definite diesel grumble most of the time, it's not as refined as the 2.0, or the psa 2.2 in the latest model. Test drive it and if it doesn't bother you then you'll probably be shocked by the way whatever gear you're in (as long as above about 1750rpm) it just shifts in to warp drive! The gearbox is a beaut, it handles well and the gearbox is second only to a Honda - so good choice!

4 years 12 weeks ago

Personally the ST220 is more of a drivers car the TDCi is ok but not exactly fast by today's derv standards. Probably get more car for your money with an ST220. If you are not a high millage driver the rewards are far greater in the ST220.

We had an ST170 a few years back and was a nice little car but performance was a little disappointing to TBH. It really needed the revs and seemed not that much faster than a standard 2 litre Focus. I remember following my ex wife having a little blast on some 60mph country roads with her driving the 04 ST170 and me in a 04 318Ti M Sport and the BM could just about keep up with it even though my ex is a better driver than me..........

4 years 12 weeks ago

I'd say the ST170 is the pick of the bunch, not the compromise.

If possible, it's a good idea to start avoiding diesels nowadays.

The driving position is a bit peculiar in the previous model Mondeo, and Ford diesels have never been the best, so I'd say focus on the ST170 as a priority.

4 years 12 weeks ago

Depends how many miles you do really

The fact is that ST TDCIs are exceptionally economical and ST220s aren't - having said that though, the other fact you have to consider is that the facelift ST220 with the 6 speed gearbox is an absolute peach.

I had one over a long weekend and did close to 1000 miles in it, the engine was spectacular and just as happy gently woofling away from roundabouts in 3rd gear and then bulk shifting into 6th as it was blasting through to the redline in each gear. If you do longer motorway trips and can stick to 80 mph on the cruise, you can squeeze 30 mpg from them - but if you use the power, its low to mid 20s all the way.

Do the same 80 mph cruise in an ST TDCI, and 30 mpg becomes 46 - 48 mpg and I would be very surprised if they ever dropped below 40 mpg - but they are not especially quick, sound like transits and get expensive if injectors, high pressure fuel pumps and turbos throw a wobbly. IIRC, both the TDCI and 220 can suffer from dual mass flywheel issues that are expensive to fix.

A point to note, even though they are probably out of your budget - but any ST220 registered after March 23rd 2006 will cost £405 to tax rather than the £245 I think you pay for the highest C02 emission cars registered prior to March 23rd.

ST170 is fine, but make sure it has the last of the factory ECU maps - makes a big difference to driveability and performance - the last of the line cars would run 0 to 60 mph in 8 seconds dead and 0 to 100 mph in 20 seconds - which isn't too shabby.

From memory, the car is hampered by ridiculously high gearing - although they really do fly between 70 and 95 in 3rd.

4 years 12 weeks ago

ST220 for me, cheaper than the ST Tdci for an equivalent age/mileage car. Also better to drive, better seats, suspension etc. Performance blue is a must!

4 years 12 weeks ago

ST TDCI. With a bluefin and a little fetteling you can see 190-195bhp and then you'll be leaving ST220's behind you in a puff of black smoke.

4 years 12 weeks ago

I dont think so it would need 220bhp just to be as good as the petrol, would need more to beat it.

In anycase ST220 with a bluefin will take it to 235bhp. TDCI with bluefin is 182bhp.

Power always wins over torque.

4 years 12 weeks ago

I owned an ST170 and to be honest the performance was dissapointing for a car with 168Bhp. Ok, it had a variable valve engine which means you've got to rev it to access the torque, but with the ST the torque was so high meaning the performance was naff to be frank, barely any faster than the standard 2.0 Focus. I've driven a BMW 120i which also has a 2.0 variable valve engine and 170Bhp, but the performance is so much more accessible and it's quicker too.

On the upside, the ST steered and handled brilliantly, while the ride was excellent for a car with sport suspension. It sounds good too for a 4-cylinder car.

I had a 2.0 litre Mk 2 Focus and that was almost as quick as the ST170, so maybe a Mk2 is worth considering.

As for the Mondeo, the ST TDCi has good performance and economy but the engine is a bit coarse and noisy while. The 220 will be quicker in real world driving, will rev more freely giving more accessible performance plus there's that V6 roar and it's more refined. If you just want to spend most of your time on the motorway or crusing without changing gears, get the diesel.

4 years 12 weeks ago

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I am definitely leaning towards the ST220. I only do about 10k a year so it is worth thinking whether or not the diesel is worth it, and they seem to be a bit more pricey for the same age or mileage. Would just like to add, is it worth trying to get a post face-lift model with the 6 speed gearbox?

4 years 12 weeks ago

beachland2 wrote:

I dont think so it would need 220bhp just to be as good as the petrol, would need more to beat it.

In anycase ST220 with a bluefin will take it to 235bhp. TDCI with bluefin is 182bhp.

Power always wins over torque.

Not on the motorway it doesn't.

4 years 12 weeks ago

Unless you drive hard (and i doubt you would consider the diesel if you did) i suspect you will be pleasently surprised at the economy of the ST220.

Only doing 10,000 miles a year its the one i would go for

4 years 12 weeks ago

" Would just like to add, is it worth trying to get a post face-lift model with the 6 speed gearbox? "

Most definately, the 6 speed gearbox makes a big difference to the performance and driveability (IMHO) because they didn't just whack an extra cog on the 5 speed box, all the intermediate ratios were lowered.

The interior trim plastic upgrades and the Sony stereos that came with the facelift are well worth having as well - the internal door casings on the pre-facelift cars are horrid.

IIRC, the facelift model was introduced for late 2003 - so they should be within your budget.

4 years 12 weeks ago

I have seen the current Focus ST 2.5 lt for sale around the £8k mark on autotrader, so for a little bit more than your £7.5k maybe you could have one of these.

They stopped making the ST 170 in 04 so a bit old really, but you can pick a decent one up for around £4.5k, they also do a 5dr version

If you fancy something diff to a Ford, then a Octavia VRS or Accord 2.4 S are worth considering

Jah

4 years 12 weeks ago

The ST220 is a fantastic car with the right tyres (must use the Contact 2s). I had one for over 6 years and loved it. You should find good ST220s for less than your budget as it not very economical (petrol) so values are low. The ST170 is a poor second choice. Replaced my ST220 with the Mk II Focus RS.

4 years 12 weeks ago

Jah wrote:

The ST220 is a fantastic car with the right tyres (must use the Contact 2s). I had one for over 6 years and loved it. You should find good ST220s for less than your budget as it not very economical (petrol) so values are low. The ST170 is a poor second choice. Replaced my ST220 with the Mk II Focus RS.

I ran an ST220 for 2 years in Germany, what a fantastic car, would hit an indicated 160mph time after time and never missed a beat, really upset some BWM/Merc drivers being overtaken by a Ford. But very heavy on fuel at them speeds, a full tank in less than 100 miles, but more respectable around town, the engine sound is amazing for a standard engine and its half an Aston V12. Machine Silver with red Recaros, a mate bought an ST TDCI and it didnt feel as well built, and it was so noisy and coarse, much more so than the 2.0 TDCI engine. I also agree about the tyres, stay on the Conti Sports contact 2, I tried Bridgestone RE050 and they ruined the ride and stability.

4 years 11 weeks ago

ST220 every time !! The ST TDCI is just a diesel Mondeo with a tightened chassis; not bad (if you can stand the usual rattly Ford diesel) but not a patch on the V6 ST220. Just cough up for extra fuel, enjoy yourself for 2 years, then replace it with a second-hand Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 4x4. You know it makes sense.

4 years 11 weeks ago

Tiger, guess you will be looking to move onto a new model again soon lol!

4 years 11 weeks ago

haha true. I guess I could wait a bit until prices of the 2.5T drop a bit. Thanks for all the advice guys, my search begins now for my ST220. I'm thinking either performance blue, or the silver. Probably go for performance blue though :D

3 years 39 weeks ago

Hi, Did you buy an ST220 then ?

Please register or login to post a comment.