Special Vehicle Operations to focus on creating ‘ultimate’ luxury, off-road and sporting performance models

Jaguar Land Rover’s new Special Vehicle Operations division is a “business within a business” that has been tasked to “think outside the box”, according to its MD, John Edwards.

The SVO division is currently putting the final touches to its new facility near Ryton, south of Coventry. Known as ‘Oxford Road’, the new factory will be home to 150 JLR specialists and will have its own paint shop.

“We are smaller and more entrepreneurial by nature,” Edwards said at the recent Geneva motor show. “Speed to market will be key, and we aim to be a high-margin business.”

Edwards revealed that SVO was working on a strategy that would see the division producing vehicles under three new ‘ultimate’ brands: ‘ultimate luxury’, ‘ultimate sporting performance’ and ‘ultimate off-road ability’. The ‘ultimate sporting’ models will compete with the higher-end offerings from Mercedes-AMG and BMW’s M division and will be sold under the SVR brand.

The first SVR model, based on the Range Rover Sport, has just been unveiled. The ultimate off-roaders will be badged SVX. The sub-brand name for the luxury models has not yet been fixed, but the Range Rover SVAutobiography could be the first model to be branded under the new category.

“We will operate under three principles: profit, promote and protect,” said Edwards. “First, SVO must make a profit. Second, we must promote JLR’s wider business. And third, we must protect the integrity of our brands.”

JLR currently sells around 150 ‘individual’ cars each year but is looking to significantly increase that number. SVO will be able to build one-off models for customers, although the creation of such models will not include any re-engineering work. “We can’t disrupt the factory flow,” said Edwards. “Limited-run cars like the Project 7 are more complicated. We have to get a balance between scale and exclusivity.”

As well as models like the Project 7, SVO will be responsible for building an armoured version of the Range Rover. The company expects to build about 20 each year, priced at £250,000 each.

Get the latest car news, reviews and galleries from Autocar direct to your inbox every week. Enter your email address below:

Our Verdict

Range Rover
Range Rover has a maximum wading depth of 900mm

The fourth-generation Range Rover is here to be judged as a luxury car as much as it is a 4x4

Join the debate

Comments
11

20 October 2014

Range Rover Sport SVR shattered the Ring record for SUVs and while doing so raised healthy questions about the reputation of some sport coupe / SUV makers but our car magazines have been rather under playing this worthy achievement! May we ask why?

20 October 2014

What Land Rover has achieved with the Range Rover Sport SVR is nothing short of spectacular. They've managed to move the already class leading chassis ability of the car on to another different level, giving it handling that is phenomenal for this type of car and puts many so-called sports cars and other performance cars to shame. The massive grunt of the RR Sport SVR is also a contributing factor, but it's the amazing chassis that has allowed this car to lap the Nurburgring in the time it did and demolish all its rivals like the Cayenne Turbo, X5M and ML63 AMG. And yet Land Rover's, and this car's, achievements have been low key and almost overlooked when they should be lauded and praised. The RR Sport SVR is further evidence of Land Rover and Jaguar's world beating engineering and technical expertise, yet we dismiss their achievements and still praise the inferior models from BMW, Mercedes, Audi and VW. In the case of the RR Sport, it beats the Cayenne, X5, Q7, ML, Toureg and every other rival hands down and yet we don't give it the credit it deserved. And the fact its all achieved by a British marque on a shoestring budget is even more of a testament to Land Rover. And be in no doubt that the SVR versions of other future Land Rover and Jaguar models will be equally crushingly competent and will trump all their rivals. I'm looking forward to a F Type SVR that will leave a 911 Turbo, Huracan, R8 and 458 trailing in its wake.

20 October 2014
Roadster wrote:

What Land Rover has achieved with the Range Rover Sport SVR is nothing short of spectacular. They've managed to move the already class leading chassis ability of the car on to another different level, giving it handling that is phenomenal for this type of car and puts many so-called sports cars and other performance cars to shame. The massive grunt of the RR Sport SVR is also a contributing factor, but it's the amazing chassis that has allowed this car to lap the Nurburgring in the time it did and demolish all its rivals like the Cayenne Turbo, X5M and ML63 AMG. And yet Land Rover's, and this car's, achievements have been low key and almost overlooked when they should be lauded and praised. The RR Sport SVR is further evidence of Land Rover and Jaguar's world beating engineering and technical expertise, yet we dismiss their achievements and still praise the inferior models from BMW, Mercedes, Audi and VW. In the case of the RR Sport, it beats the Cayenne, X5, Q7, ML, Toureg and every other rival hands down and yet we don't give it the credit it deserved. And the fact its all achieved by a British marque on a shoestring budget is even more of a testament to Land Rover. And be in no doubt that the SVR versions of other future Land Rover and Jaguar models will be equally crushingly competent and will trump all their rivals. I'm looking forward to a F Type SVR that will leave a 911 Turbo, Huracan, R8 and 458 trailing in its wake.

20 October 2014

Things look promising for the Ftype with the AWD coming,a MUST here in Canada.Would love to see the new XE with 450+ HP and AWD! AMG has missed the boat here by not bringing the GT and C63 with 4Matic.

Madmac

20 October 2014

....yet an SUV that breaks the record around the Nurburgring is heaped with the most incredible praise? That's got to be the ultimate pair of Union flag tinted spectacles with built in speakers blaring out God save the Queen. Or simply hypocritical.

20 October 2014
Oktoberfest wrote:

....yet an SUV that breaks the record around the Nurburgring is heaped with the most incredible praise? That's got to be the ultimate pair of Union flag tinted spectacles with built in speakers blaring out God save the Queen. Or simply a hypocritical.

I faintly recall the X5M and AMG versions of the ML being regarded as pointless and inappropriate by Autocar when they first came out and were first driven (especially the 547bhp X5M which only came out 5 years ago), with massive performance, taut handling and lap times being deemed nonsensical. Yet when Land Rover wheels out a performance version of the Range Rover Sport....hmm.... how times have changed.

20 October 2014
Darren Moss wrote:

Edwards cited the need to properly “define the DNA” of the brand before it could be appropriately applied to Jaguars. Using it to signify extreme all-wheel-drive versions of Jaguar models wasn’t ruled out.

Interesting approach. There was never enough brand value for 'Quattro' to be applied to other VAG cars, and I can't recall a similar arrangement recently where a sub-brand is applied across two major marques. I would hope that the 4x4 section of SVR focuses on off-road ability and design rather than speed and bling (the sight of 2 tonne lowered Range-Rover Sports with blacked out windows being driven recklessly is now an annoying cliche). It would be good for this to be trend-setting and intelligent rather than an in-house version of Overfinch, which I am sure would have been acquired had the BHP+Bling mix been the priority.

20 October 2014

Have you put your tissues away yet Roadster? Well you'd better get them out again, for crying into. RR no longer claim that the SVR is 'the' fastest SUV round the ring, just 'one' of the fastest. The MY2015 Cayenne turbo out performs it, and by all accounts out handles it too. And the Turbo S hasn't even turned a wheel yet.

22 October 2014
Cobnapint wrote:

Have you put your tissues away yet Roadster? Well you'd better get them out again, for crying into. RR no longer claim that the SVR is 'the' fastest SUV round the ring, just 'one' of the fastest. The MY2015 Cayenne turbo out performs it, and by all accounts out handles it too. And the Turbo S hasn't even turned a wheel yet.

This is the troll formerly known as Fidji. Ignore him.


289

31 March 2015

Are you the unapointed Forum administrator now WC?
I mean, do you ACTUALLY have anything mildly interesting or educational to say about motor vehicles ?

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Car review
    23 September 2016
    Aston kicks off its ‘second century plan’ with an all-new turbo V12 grand tourer
  • Ford Ka+ 1.2 Ti-VCT 85
    First Drive
    22 September 2016
    A rounded, refined and well-sorted bargain supermini – once you’re used to the confusing role redefinition imposed on the once-cheeky Ka
  •  Maserati Ghibli Diesel
    First Drive
    22 September 2016
    Maserati releases another range of updates for its range best seller, the Ghibli. We've driven the diesel version, but there's little improvement on before
  • Tipo Front
    First Drive
    21 September 2016
    New Fiat Tipo offers impressive space and practicality for a reasonable price. We try the 1.6 diesel on the demanding roads of North Wales
  • Seat Ateca 1.4 TSI 150
    First Drive
    20 September 2016
    The Seat Ateca 1.4 TSI 150 makes perfect sense: it's spacious, tidy to drive for an SUV and cheap to run